He was a Professor in the Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences, International Islamic University Malaysia and the Dean of the Institute of Islamic Banking & Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia.
He holds a Ph.D. degree in Finance from the University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, U.S.A. His undergraduate and Masters Degrees were in the area of Economics from the International Islamic University Malaysia.
His areas of interest and expertise include Financial Markets, Investment Analysis, Macro-Economics, Economics of Social Issues and Quantitative Methods. He has wide experience in teaching, training, consultancy and research in the above areas. His works have been published in local and international journals.
His current research interest is in money systems that includes the gold dinar. He is the author of the books The Islamic Gold Dinar, The Theft of Nations (both published by Pelanduk Publications) and Real Money – Money and Payment Systems from an Islamic Perspective published by IIUM Press.
Academic / Professional Qualifications:
- B.A. (Economics) (Hons), IIUM
- M.A. (Economics), IIUM
- Ph.D (Finance), North Texas.
Selected Research / Publications:
- “The Gold Dinar: The Next Component in Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance”, Review of Islamic Economics, Vol. 8 No. 1, pp. 5-34.
- “Wealth and Liquidity Effects of Stock Delistings: Empirical Evidence from the Stock Exchanges of Singapore and Malaysia”, Applied Financial Economics, Vol. 10, 2000, pp. 199-206.
- “Who Gets the Bonus in Bonus Stock Issuance?”, Capital Markets Review (CMR), Vol. 4(2), 1997, pp. 47-69.
- “Determinants of Crime in a Developing Country: A Regression Model”, Applied Economics, Vol. 27, 1995, pp. 455-460.
- The Theft of Nations – Returning to Gold. Subang Jaya: Pelanduk Publications.
Selected papers / Presentations:
- “Tax Practictioners’ Acceptance of the Electronic Filing System: An Empirical Test Using Structural Equation Modeling”, Business & Economics Society International Conference, Greece, 19 – 22 July 2004. (with Lai Ming Ling, Siti Normala Sheikh Obaid and Norizan Mohd Kassim)
- “The Gold Dinar: The Next Component in Islamic Banking and Finance”, International Islamic Banking Conference, Monash University, Prato, Italy, 9 – 10 September 2003.
- “Technology Beliefs and Acceptance of Malaysian Tax Practitioners: Survey Evidence”, Second Global Conference on Business & Economics, London, England, 5 – 7 July 2003.